TBC Classic Mining Profession and Leveling 1-375 Guide
Mining is one of the few gathering professions available to players. This profession focuses on collecting ore, rather than crafting items or consumables for use. This gathered ore is most commonly smelted into bars and used by Engineering and Blacksmithing to fuel their crafting needs; but the raw ore may also be of use to a Jewelcrafter.
Mining ore veins first requires you to have a Mining Pick. Mineral veins will take multiple hits to fully empty, with anywhere from 1-2 successful harvests all the way up to 8. Make sure you fully clear out the mineral vein to get the maximum amount of materials possible.
While focusing on gathering ore, it is highly recommended to use a movement speed increase, such as Crusader Aura or Riding Crop. This will help greatly with the amount of materials you can gather in a session as the movement speed lets you move from vein to vein much faster over the course of a long farming session.
You may also find that Mining can be used to complement your goldmaking in TBC Classic. For more information on this among other methods involving alternative professions, please see our separate guide on the topic:
When Mining is learned as a profession, you will also learn a skill called Find Minerals that will show nearby mineral nodes as a golden point on your minimap. This allows you to see ore in hidden areas or off-screen so you can gather any nearby ore.
When you approach a mineral vein, you can interact with it to try and mine the ore. However, you cannot gather all ore from the start; you will see different colors representing how hard is it for you to gather that certain ore. These colors represent the skill level needed to gather the ore and are the following:
- Red means that vein needs a higher skill level than you currently have and you cannot mine it yet.
- Orange means you can mine this vein, but your attempts may fail. Every first successful attempt on the vein is guaranteed to increase your Mining skill.
- Yellow means you can normally mine this vein, your attempts may occasionally fail, and most successful attempts increase your Mining skill.
- Green means you can easily mine this vein, your attempts will rarely fail, and you will rarely increase your Mining skill by mining these.
- Gray means you can mine this vein with no effort, your attempts will never fail, and they will never increase your Mining skill.
When you learn Mining from the trainers, apart from the very useful Find Minerals you will also learn a technique called Smelting. It is a skill Miners can use when they are near a Forge to smelt the minerals into usable metal bars for crafting. The good part is that smelting minerals also increases your skill in Mining too and it can be used to level your Mining quickly without having to seek out veins of ore if you are willing to buy the materials.
The skill levels you will need to train at are:
- Apprentice Level can be learned when first picking up the profession, starts from a skill level of 1, and goes up to 75. It also requires your character to be Level 5.
- Journeyman Level can be learned when you reach a skill level of 50 and goes up to 150. It also requires your character to be Level 10.
- Expert Level can be learned when you reach a skill level of 125 and goes up to 225. It also requires your character to be Level 20.
- Artisan Level can be learned when you reach a skill level of 200 and goes up to 300. It also requires your character to be Level 35.
- Master Level can be learned when you reach a skill level of 275 and goes up to 375. It the highest Profession Level and also requires your character to be Level 55.
You can learn Mining from any Mining trainer, which are found in capital cities. When you arrive at a major city you can ask any city guard for directions, and pick the Mining trainer option under the professions section. This will mark their location on your map, allowing you to easily find them and get the Mining skill.
To learn Mining past 300 skill level, you must travel to Outland and talk with a master Miner. Alliance and Horde players can find their respective trainers at:
- [A] Hurnak Grimmord at Honor Hold in Hellfire Peninsula, around coordinates (56,64).
- [H] Krugosh at Thrallmar in Hellfire Peninsula, around coordinates (55,37).
Leveling Mining (1 to 300)
Leveling Route (1-300)
Your Mining advancement begins by mining Copper Ore found in the low-level starting areas. Once you have reached 50 skill in Mining, head to your local trainer to learn Journeyman Mining, allowing you to progress up to 150 Skill.
After training Journeyman Mining head out to either Hillsbrad Foothills, Redridge Mountains, The Barrens, Loch Modan, or Darkshore and look for these veins for skill-ups all the way to 125:
- 65-100 — Copper Ore
- 65-125 — Tin Ore
- 75-125 — Silver Ore
Make sure to visit your nearest trainer and learn Expert Mining. You will be gathering plenty of these ores as this is typically one of the tougher spots in Mining progression as you only have one main ore to gain skill-ups from. Set up nice circular routes in Arathi Highlands, Desolace, and Thousand Needles to cover as much ground as possible and keep your eyes peeled for:
- 125-175 — Iron Ore
- 155-175 — Gold Ore
At 175 Skill we obtain the ability to mine Mithril, giving us access to a very popular mineral. If you previously were in Arathi Highlands, you can continue to mine there as there is a large mixture of your needed ores. If not, you will want to make your way there, to Hinterlands, or Tanaris.
- 175-225 — Mithril Ore
At 225 Skill, make sure to visit your nearest Mining trainer and learn Artisan Mining. After that continue your previous mining route until you reach 245.
At 245 Skill we gain the ability to mine Small Thorium Veins and at 275 we can access the Rich Thorium Veins, giving us the ability to quick gather all ore in the area and reach Skill Level 300. We recommend that you head into Un'Goro Crater, Blasted Lands, Felwood, or Silithus and gather any mineral veins that may grant you a skill-up.
- 245-300 Thorium Ore
Leveling Mining (300 - 375)
Leveling Route (300-375)
Here we will be looking to farm some Fel Iron Ore in Hellfire Peninsula. Run along the mountain edges looking for any veins you can find on your minimap.
For these next 25 skill-ups we will head into Zangarmarsh and search along the outer edges of the map. Here we will find a mixture of Fel Iron Ore and Adamantite Ore, both offering us skill-ups.
The last few skill-ups we recommend heading into Nagrand as we will see an increased number of nodes, both rich and regular, in the area. You can also choose to stay in your current area as Mining is very simple to train in any of the zones Outland has to offer.
- 30 May 2021: Guide added.
This Classic WoW Mining leveling guide will show you the fastest way how to level your Mining profession up from 1 to 300.
Mining serves two professions: Blacksmithing and Engineering, so it's really good combined with these two. Check out my Classic Blacksmithing leveling guide or my Classic Engineering leveling Guide if you want to level any of two professions.
I recommend using Zygor's 1-60 Leveling Guide if you are still leveling your character or you just started a new alt. The guide is in a small window on your main screen in-game, all the detail that you need to complete the quests are included. You’ll never have to switch back to a website, or even the in-game main map to see where you have to go or what’s next.
Table of contents:
Classic WoW Mining Trainers
To become an Apprentice Miner you need to reach level 5, and find a Mining trainer.
Just click on any of these links below to see the trainer's exact location.
Classic Mining Leveling
Every starter zone is filled with Copper Ore, it doesn't really matter which one you choose.
Night Elf players have to wait until they get to Darkshore before they can start leveling mining because Teldrassil doesn't have any Copper Ore.
Don't forget to buy a Mining Pick from the Mining Supply vendor near your trainer! You don't have to equip it, but you have to have one in your inventory.
1 - 65
High level players should always enter the Venture Co. Mine because you will get around 8 Copper Veins from clearing both the mine and the small area after the mine at the side the mountain. (you can only access this area from the mine)
It can be a nightmare to find the exit the first time you are there so I included a small map. You won't see this map in-game, because it's from the Cataclysm expansion, but the layout is the same. Make sure to go to every corner of the cave!
Low level players should skip both caves.
Low level players should skip both caves.
The respawn rate is fast enough that you don't have to loop around the whole zone, so you can use these two routes. If you have competition, you should move between the two routes while mining copper between them.
65 - 125
Visit your trainer and learn Journeyman Mining. (You need to level up Mining to at least 50)
Ores in these zones: Tin Ore, Copper Ore, Silver Ore
At 75 you can learn how to smelt Silver Ore, this will help you get your skill to 125. Silver Ore and bars sell for rougly the same, buy the ore and sell the bars at the auction house.
Low level players should skip the two caves marked with red circles.
Low level players should skip both caves and stick to the east side of Redridge.
The respawn rate should be fast enough that you don't have to enter the cave marked on the map, but there is always two Tin Veins inside, so I think it's worth to go inside with high level characters.
There is more Tin/Copper at the southern route, but you can use the northern route as an alternative if there are too many people farming in the zone. The difference between the two is not that big.
125 - 175
Visit your trainer and learn Expert Mining. (You need to level up Mining to at least 125)
Ores in these zones: Iron Ore, Tin Ore, Gold Ore
At 155 you can learn how to smelt Gold Ore. Buy around 30 Gold Ore then smelt them, this should get you to around 175. Same as with Silver Ores, buy them, smelt them and sell the bars at the Auction House.
There are 4 caves marked with red circles on the map, make sure to go all the way to the end of each cave because you won't see all the mining veins from the entrance.
Low level players should skip all 4 caves, and low level Alliance players should take a detour and go south of Hammerfall!
175 - 245
Don't forget to visit your Mining trainer and learn Artisan Mining when you reach 225! (You need to level up Mining to at least 200)
Ores in these zones: Mithril Ore, Truesilver Ore
The red route should be skipped by lower level players because the area is filled with level 62 elites. Lower level players might also want to consider skipping the cave marked with a red circle on the map. (depends on your gear/class)
Players below level 60 should skip the 4 caves marked with red circles.
245 - 275
Ores in these zones: Mithril Ore, Truesilver Ore, Thorium Ore
There are 2-3 mineral veins in the two caves marked with the red circles on the map.
Lower level players should probably skip the cave to the south. It really depends on your level/gear/class.
There are two caves marked with a red circle on the map, both of them have a lot of mobs inside, so I would only recommend this farming place to level 60 players with good gear, or for Druids and Rogues with stealth.
It's really hard to navigate inside the Garrison Armory mine, so I included a small map. Alliance players can't mine inside the Garrison Armory!
There are usually 2 mining nodes insides the cave marked with a red circle. It's worth going inside the cave because it's not too large and there aren't that many mobs inside, and if you are high level, you can pass some of them without aggro.
I recommend skipping the other two caves at Jaednar, especially Shadow Hold. (maybe if you have stealth it's worth to go inside them)
275 - 300
Ores in these zones: Thorium Ore, Mithril Ore
Now you can mine Rich Thorium Veins too.
Almost the same as the previous Un'Goro route, but now it includes Rich Thorium Veins.
The red line is filled with level 57-58 elites, so if you have bad gear, you should probably just skip that part entirely unless you have stealth. With some practice, you can usually get through only aggroing a few of them.
- The mobs in this cave are not that hard to kill, so it's worth clearing for most classes. (depends on gear)
- Most classes can enter at least the first part of the cave without pulling aggro. You can try going deeper depending on your gear.
- There are a lot of elites patroling inside this gorge, but you can usually pass most of them without pulling aggro. Sometimes you have to kill 1 or 2.
- This area is not recommended for most players because it's hard to farm here without dying. Really depends on your class and your experience in avoiding mobs.
The two caves marked with red circles are filled with level 50 mobs, so lower level players might want to skip them. (depends on gear and level)
Congratulations on reaching 300! Please send feedback about the guide if you think there are parts I could improve, or you found typos, errors, wrong material numbers!
Classic Mining Profession and Leveling Guide
Introduction to Mining
As a gathering profession, WoW Classic's Mining first requires you to have a Mining Pick. It is sold at every Trade vendor who can easily be located near Mining Trainers. With that pick, you'll be able to mine the mineral veins in the open world and gather mainly ores and also stones and gems on the side.
Mining Trainers and Where to Find Them
You can learn Mining from any Mining trainer at most of the cities of any race. The idea is, when you get out of your starting zone with your character, you will be sent to the city, like Orgrimmar for Orcs, Stormwind for Humans, Thunder Bluff for Taurens and Ironforge for Dwarves and Gnomes, etc.
When you arrive at your city, you can ask any City Guard for directions, when asked for a Mining trainer, it will be marked on your map and with that you can easily find your way to them and learn Mining and other professions or locate other places of interest you need.
Note that, unlike other professions, there is not a Mining Trainer at every city, so for you to be safe, here is a list of all of the Mining Trainers in WoW Classic, with continent of the zone indicated as (K) = Kalimdor, (EK) = Eastern Kingdoms.
- Alliance Mining Trainers:
- Gelman Stonehand: Stormwind City (EK), Dwarven District (51,17)
- Geofram Bouldertoe: Ironforge (EK), Great Forge (50,26)
- Yarr Hammerstone: Dun Morogh (EK), Steelgrill's Depot (49,50)
- Dank Drizzlecut: Dun Morogh (EK), Gol'Bolar Quarry (69,55)
- Brock Stoneseeker: Loch Modan (EK), Thelsamar (37,47)
- Matt Johnson: Duskwood (EK), Darkshire (74,49)
- Kurdram Stonehammer: Darkshore (K), Auberdine (38,41)
- Horde Mining Trainers:
- Makaru: Orgrimmar (K), The Valley of Honor (73,26)
- Krunn: Durotar (K), Razor Hill (51,40)
- Brek Stonehoof: Thunder Bluff (K), central bluff (34,57)
- Brom Killian: Undercity (EK), War Quarter, inner ring (56,37)
- Johan Focht: Silverpine Forest (EK), The Sepulcher (43,40)
- Neutral Mining Trainers:
- Pikkle: Tanaris (K), Gadgetzan (51,28)
After you grab your Mining Pick (which does not need to be equipped to mine veins and can just be kept in your bags, you should locate a Mining Trainer. Learn Mining as a profession, which will also make you learn the Find Minerals skill. This skill will show nearby mineral veins as a golden point at your minimap. We suggest you put a button for Find Minerals on your Action Bars, because you will need it to constantly re-activate the skill buff, because just like your other buffs, it does not persist through death and has to be re-applied all the time.
Note that mineral veins and deposits generally can be found only on or around cliffs, inside of caves or at dig sites. So, when you look for veins, it is clever to check these places and make your gathering route around the edges of the zones and high places most of the time.
When you see a golden point on your minimap and go to that or you see a mineral vein yourself, you can interact with it to try to mine the vein and gather the ores, stones and mines from it. But you can not mine all veins from the start, you will see different colors representing how hard is it for you to mine that certain vein. These colors represent the skill level needed to mine the vein and they can be:
- Red means that vein needs higher skill level than you have and you can not mine it.
- Orange means you can hardly mine this vein, your attempts may often fail but every successful attempt will definitely increase your Mining skill.
- Yellow means you can normally mine this vein, your attempts may sometimes fail and so every successful attempt will generally increase your Mining skill.
- Green means you can easily mine this vein, your attempts will rarely fail and so every successful attempt may not increase your Mining skill.
- Gray means you can mine this vein with no effort, your attempts will never fail and so it will not increase your Mining skill.
Gathering Mechanics and Etiquette
Before you start your gathering, these are important to learn and remember, especially in grouped and instanced gameplay:
- Remember that, unlike retail, in WoW Classic, mineral veins will disappear when you successfully mine the vein.
- So, if you are in a party with more than one Miner, share the veins you find with them.
- Also, multiple players can gain skill off the same vein if the first person avoids picking the loot off the vein by pressing "Escape" after the vein's loot box appears (auto-Loot has to be turned off). That way you can allow other players to gather and have a chance to raise their Mining skill.
- Do not try to mine veins during combat, just wait until all of the party is safe before any gathering attempt.
- Do not run off to a vein by yourself without letting the other party members know.
- If there are monsters in the way, ask the party to clear them for you.
- Basically, do not do anything to risk the safety of your team just to do mining.
When you learn Mining from the trainers, besides the very useful Find Minerals, you will also learn a technique called Smelting. It is a skill Miners can use when they are near a Forge to melt the minerals into usable metal bars for crafting. The good part is, smelting minerals also increases your skill in mining too and it can be used to level your mining quicker and we will get into how to do that next.
How to Quickly Level Mining from 1 to 300
As you improve your skill in mining veins, higher skill levels in Mining and Smelting needs to be trained at Mining trainers to be able to gather harder to mine minerals and find much rarer stones and gems. Also you have to learn how to smelt these new minerals.
The skill levels you will need to train at are:
- Apprentice Level: Learned when starting, starts from 1 skill, goes up to 75.
- Journeyman Level: Learned when you reach 50 skill, goes up to 150.
- Expert Level: Learned when you reach 125 skill, goes up to 225.
- Artisan Level: Learned when you reach 200 skill, goes up to 300 and that is the highest Mining Level.
For leveling Mining fast and cheap, mixing up some gathering and smelting is the best method. Below are the essential minerals needed and the zones you can find them listed step-by-step.
After you learn Mining, just enable your Find Minerals and roam around the surrounding areas of the city and starting zones. Your character can be around level 1-15, it is even better to learn the professions from the start, that way you can integrate them into your overall leveling experience. So, after you learn, just mine every vein you can until you improve your skill to 65+. After you pass 50, you can go back to your city to learn Journeyman Mining and the new Smelting techniques from the trainers.
For this first step, you just need to mine for:
- Copper Ore (12550100) which can mostly be found in Durotar, The Barrens, Ashenvale, Tirisfal Glades, Silverpine Forest and Mulgore for the Horde and Elwynn Forest, Loch Modan, Dun Morogh and Darkshore for the Alliance.
Alternatively, you can use the ores you gathered to Smelt Copper up to 47 skill.
Step 2: 65-125 Skill
At this step, depending on the place you started, you will go to the next zones and, like the mobs and quests, mineral veins there will also have increased level. Your character can be around 15-30 level bracket, 30+ may be needed for the last parts. Again, you will improve your skill by either mining veins or smelting them up to 100+. After you pass 125, you can go back to your city to learn Expert Mining from the trainers.
To quickly complete this step of leveling, you mainly need to mine for:
- Tin Ore (6590115165) which can mostly be found in The Barrens, Ashenvale, Tirisfal Glades, Silverpine Forest and Hillsbrad Foothills for the Horde and in Westfall, Wetlands, Duskwood and Redridge Mountains for the Alliance;
- Silver Ore (75100125175) can also come from the Silver Veins spawned rarely at where you can find Tin Veins.
Alternatively, you can use the ores you gathered to:
Step 3: 125-175 Skill
This step requires you to be in higher level areas mostly, so your character has to be around 30-45, up to 50s for the last parts to level their Mining with ease. Again, you will keep improving your skill by mining veins up to 175+.
At this step, you mainly need to mine for:
- Iron Ore (125150175225) which can mostly be found in Arathi Highlands, Thousand Needles, Desolace, Badlands, Alterac Mountains, Ashenvale, Swamp of Sorrows, Tanaris, Stranglethorn Vale and Hillsbrad Foothills;
- Gold Ore (155180205255) can also come from the Gold Veins spawned rarely at where you can find Iron Deposits.
Alternatively, you can use the ores you gathered to:
- Smelt Iron up to 135 skill;
- Smelt Gold between 155 to 184 skills if you have gathered any Gold Ore.
Note that Smelting will only help up to 184 skill level, so this is the last phase you may use it to help level your Mining.
Step 4: 175-230 Skill
For this step, your character needs to be around 45-50+ level bracket, Again, you will improve your skill by mining veins up to 225+. After you pass 200, you can go back to your city to learn Artisan Mining, the highest skill level available from the trainers.
At this step, you mainly need to mine for:
- Mithril Ore (175200225275) which can mostly be found in Arathi Highlands, Azshara, Desolace, Blasted Lands, Tanaris, Badlands, The Hinterlands, Searing Gorge, Alterac Mountains and Stranglethorn Vale;
- Truesilver Ore (230255280330) can also come from the Truesilver Deposits spawned rarely at where you can find Mithril Deposits.
Step 5: 230-300 Skill
The final step of our leveling requires you to be in highest and max level areas mostly, so at this point your character has to be in the 50-60 level bracket to level this last part with ease. This time, you will be able to improve your skill by mining occasional Truesilver Ores up to 280 but mostly Small and Rich Thorium Veins along with some Ooze Covered ones up to 300 and finally reach the highest skill level.
So, to complete this final step, you mainly need to mine for:
- Thorium Ore (250275300350) which can mostly be found in Tanaris, Silithus, Burning Steppes, Un'Goro Crater, Blasted Lands, Felwood, Western Plaguelands, Winterspring, Searing Gorge and Eastern Plaguelands.
Alternatively, you can also mine for Dark Iron Ore (230255280330) which can only be found inside Blackrock Depths and Molten Core.
WoW Classic Ores, Stones and Gems and Where to Farm Them
As we have mentioned before, mineral veins and deposits generally can be found only on or around cliffs, inside of caves or at dig sites. So, when you look for veins, it's clever to check these places and make your gathering route around the edges of the zones and high places most of the time.
Besides the essential ones needed for leveling your skill listed above, here is a list of all the ores, stones and gems that come from them in WoW Classic and the places where you can farm them. Locations are listed from highest number of ore veins per zone to the lowest. The continent of the zone is indicated as: (K) = Kalimdor, (EK) = Eastern Kingdoms.
As we have mentioned before, Smelting is a skill Miners can use when they are near a Forge to melt the minerals into usable metal bars for crafting.
Besides the essential ones needed to help leveling your skill listed above, here is a list of all other smelting you can do in WoW Classic.
No Mining Trainer knows the ancient art of smelting Dark Iron, so the only way to learn it is to bring tributes to Gloom'rel at Summoner's Tomb in the Blackrock Depths.
Only after you level your mining beyond 230, this Dark Iron Ghost will take you seriously, but to do that you need to speak with him before starting the encounter with Doom'rel. You will get the The Spectral Chalice quest from him, which requires you to bring the following tributes:
- Star Ruby x2
- Gold Bar x20
- Truesilver Bar x10
After you bring these items, you will be able to complete his quest and he will teach you how to Smelt Dark Iron.
You can have more Mining skill in various ways. This will allow you to mine nodes that are slightly out of your reach, so you can both level your Mining skill faster and have lesser failed attempts in general, this becomes useful even at highest level nodes.
Below, you will find a list of all of the bonuses for Mining.
- There are Glove Enchants that Enchanting players can apply to any glove, so you can even enchant a gray glove to send to your Miner alts. These enchants are:
- Enchant Gloves - Mining which gives +2 skill points;
- Enchant Gloves - Advanced Mining which gives +5 skill points.
- Goblin Mining Helmet is a Mail helm that gives +5 skill points. It is made by Engineering players and can be worn by players who can wear Mail and have Goblin Engineering at skill level 205. There is no level requirement for the helm, but it binds when picked up, so you need to be at a certain level or waste a lot of gold to be able to craft it.
Combining these bonuses, you can increase your total Mining skill by +10.
- 20 Aug. 2019: Page added.
.The BEST All-In-One Mining Guide - 1-300 Profession Guide - Classic WoW - World of Warcraft Vanilla
- Oiled bronze switch plates
- 3080 stock
- Jewel blast games
- Apex tool bits
- Last amc dealership
- Netgear ac1900 xfinity
- Minecraft mob spawning
- Wyze cam webcam